BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 28, 2010

Safety Town (aka Safety doesn't happen by accident)

Andrew graduated from Safety Town on Friday. All week, he had attended Safety Town from 9:30-11:30. He came home with homework every day. It was a little preview of what it's going to be like for us in the fall. And for the next 12 years.

I remember Safety Town from my day. It used to be held at the city park (it is now held inside one of the elementary schools). There was a huge replica of a town, with streets and signs, while we drove toys cars or rode bikes or walked. I remember fighting to drive the cars. No one wanted to be the pedestrian. But it was fun.

I also remember my younger brother's graduation day. We watched as the kids showed us the safety lessons they learned. Or didn't learn, in this case. Peter's car hit another car and his wheel fell off. I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional. Funny? Yes. But not intentional.

Andrew's graduation was a little different. They didn't demonstrate the safety lessons they learned. Instead, the children filed into the school's cafeteria to "Pomp and Circumstance." I'll admit, that song made me choke up. I pictured Andrew walking into an assembly hall on his high school graduation day. Gaah! Not yet!

After the police officer gave a speech and read a poem about loving your children (again, making me choke up), the children recited 3 poems they learned over the week. Adorable. Then they each came down to accept their diploma from the officer. And they pronounced our name correctly!

Anyway, I was very proud of him and look forward to all the other things he and Niko will do in the coming years. I know people say that it all happens so fast, but I didn't believe it. It's true, though. It all happens so fast.

I don't like it.

0 comments: